Saturday, December 18, 2010

Espionage & Spies

(in the literary sense, of course)

My aunt brought me a book over Thanksgiving titled, The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer, plus its sequel. Having never been one for modern literature, I was hesitant about reading it. But it sucked me in so fast, I forgot about my resistance instantly! I ripped through both novels and quickly proceeded to research the upcoming third in the sequence. Need I spell it out? A M A Z I N G .


Not to be confused with the recent film of the same title starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp, Steinhauer's novel follows the life of disenchanted secret agent, Milo Weaver (to whom we are introduced under a different name). It turns out that his life has been entirely shaped by the underground world of espionage. We follow Milo through a series of events that threatens to overthrow everything he has worked to create after he vowed to leave the Company. Steinhauer's narrative also revamps the spy world audiences were exposed to by John le Carré and relates how we all deal in this post-9/11 world.

After reading these books, I watched a little James Bond marathon and The Bourne Identity, having been inspired by the life of a spy. Next, I want to read old-school spy novels like le Carré and Flemming. But I think I'll stay on this side of the metaphoric wall - no martial arts or rifling classes for me ;)

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment