Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day... ex-pat style

Of course I love the U.S., but fireworks, barbecues, Uncle Sam, and unflattering horizontal striped shirts get boring after a while. And it is just boiling outside right now (6p and 97 degrees!), so I spent time with my dad watching the first stage of the Tour de France.


The Tour, which will last until the end of the month, kicked off from Rotterdam and ended... kinda absurdly. There were a bunch of crashes today, more than I've ever seen in one stage of the race. So at the end, we were kind of like, "What just happened?" but it's only the first stage and there will be much more drama to come, sans doute.

Really, it's my dad who's into the Tour, but I tag along (like those delicious Girl Scout cookies!) for fun. Having followed it (as much as I follow any other sporting event :P) for the past four years, I've gotten to know the structure of the race, like how points and winners are determined, and seen the beautiful geography of France.

Lovely French countryside


They go by that fast

It would be sweet if there was a Tour d'Etats Unis. In France (and all over Europe, for that matter, but the Tour de France is the most prestigious), people line up along the route days ahead of time, waiting for the riders to whiz by at thirty miles per hour. Can't you just imagine driving out to some pretty Carolinan suburb and sitting along the highway, waiting for your favourite rider to go by? It would be an awesome way to see the country - like a new take on road trips!
Um, but could you also imagine riding 3,000 miles across the U.S.? Yikes, that would be rough.

Well, I gotta go grab my yellow jersey and root for... uh, who's that guy on the bike again?
xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment