Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cool addition to the Penthouse

A few weeks ago, Alan, Stu, and I went to the new Ikea in Colorado. Per usual, we found the coolest, funkiest, sometimes useless stuff. One of our great finds was a roll of paper for a kids' easel - a great idea to keep your child endlessly supplied with doodle paper.

Growing up where I was fortunate to eat out often with my family at numerous restaurants that laid butcher paper over the tablecloths, I knew that there is endless fun in a big sheet of paper. My dad would bring crayons to the not-as-child-friendly restaurants, and we would be good, quiet kids doodling on paper.

Ikea's Mala Drawing Paper Roll recreates these fun memories for me. I created a fun, easy contraption to make my dorm room wall into one of those restaurant tables - look!


You will need:
-one Ikea Mala Drawing Paper Roll (not available on-line)
-two, 3M Command hooks (I used the general purpose 3lb-capacity)
-one wooden dowel, 1/2" in width
-6 ft. of 1"-wide ribbon
-glue, or some form of heavy duty tape

1) place the dowel through the paper roll. do not unwrap the paper roll until the entire project is finished.
2) tie the ribbon around the dowel, about 1/2"-1" in from the ends. secure with heavy duty (packaging) tape or glue
3) find someone to give you a hand for this step. position the paper roll about 12"-18" below the ceiling, or whatever height you would like the paper to start at. hook the two Command hooks so that they support the ribbon. the hooks should be about 1 ft. apart.
4) mark where the hooks will attach to the wall. follow instructions to use Command hooks.
5) finally, hang the paper roll on the wall, and cover in crayon or marker doodles!

You can place a basket or box on the floor below the paper roll so it can recollect. Be careful about using Sharpie or permanent markers on the paper roll as the ink may bleed through the paper and onto the wall. Also, there is an element of balance in keeping the paper roll horizontal; the roll may require occasional readjusting along the dowel.

Now look how much fun my friends and I can have!!!


It's also a great system to leave messages and allow guests to leave their mark :)
A project I've always wanted to try that ended up being super easy! Love it!

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment