Monday, September 20, 2010

My new weekend

Every weekend this quarter I have a three-day weekend. Oh yes, be jealous ;)
My schedule just happened to work out that I have no classes on Fridays, so Thursday is the beginning of my weekend. And that is such a sweet deal.

This being the first of the ten such weekends, I had some fun adventures. A few of my friends who have a similar schedule (i.e. no Friday classes) went into downtown Denver (Lodo) on Thursday evening. This time we took a car instead of the handy light rail system, so I got to see different parts of the city on the way there.

On Friday, I went exploring downtown myself. The 16th Street Mall is a mostly pedestrian area that has lots of shops and restaurants (and tourists :P) so its fun to explore and do a little shopping. I got sometime to myself at Starbucks (my home away from home) and began reading my book for Geography, Postcards From Tomorrow Square: Reports From China by James Fallows. It's very interesting and I would recommend it to my Global Seminar teacher from last year.

Saturday was also spent in the city, but this time, we did something a little different; we went to an amusement park! Elitch Gardens (which used to be part of the Six Flags family) is a small amusement park that also has a water park in the summer months. But it is small and mighty! There were several roller coasters (all of which we rode) that completely blew my mind... in particular the Mind Eraser.








There was also an old school wooden one that reminded me of Coney Island, except this one had a surprise tunnel that was very fun. Later in the evening, I went with one of my friends whose brother also goes to DU, and we all hung out with some of his friends.

Sunday, I did laundry for the first time at college. Not as exciting as you'd think. And also not as disastrous, since I did lots of my own laundry at home (thank you very much). But the laundry room is quite an interesting place. There are the inevitable people struggling to figure out the machines and how much detergent to put in. Surrounding them are people doing homework while waiting for their wash to finish. And people are always going in and out; I guess they are trying to decide whether or not laundry is worth all the trouble (remind me not to stand too close to these people - phew!).

So this is the end of my long weekend! Good thing the next one is only four days away...
xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment