Monday, August 6, 2012

Countdown to Aix


It’s AUGUST!
And I’m thinking, “Woah, already?!” because that means there’s one month until I’m in France!!! Study abroad cannot come soon enough… or can it?
My internship this summer has been more than I could’ve wished for. But it’s still a full time job – and boy, am I glad I’m still in college! I definitely still miss school and all my friends there, so I’m ready for summer to be over (am I really saying this??). At the same time, when September rolls around this year, I won’t be heading back to the campus I’ve grown to know like the back of my hand these past two years. Nope, I’m going to Aix, where the only sure thing is that I will have not a clue that first day.
We all remember that first day of freshman year. You and your roommate psyching each other up for “oh my god, your first college class ever!” Well that got old fast, didn’t it?
Now, we’re big bad juniors. And while some of our colleagues back in the U.S. are going to celebrate their new level of upperclassmenship, we’ll be looking around for Art 101… mais en français.
Okay, not everyone on my trip is going to be dealing with this overload of foreign language. But I somehow got myself on the French Honors Program. Which means I’ll get a nice giant serving of full immersion. I’d prefer it to be a huge serving of brie, but we students take what we get, n’est pas?
So that means I’ve been brushing up on my French (un petit peu) and practicing my bises (not really – Americans would be so freaked out by that). Actually, madames et messieurs, I did get a little smart – only a little, I promise – and changed my computer clock to 24-hour time, my weather app to Celsius, and my Facebook language to French. There! Three simple ways to prepare myself. Combine that with the sleep schedule you develop working a “real job,” and nous sommes prêtes pour la France, mes amis!
I’m going to go work on a little playlist I’ve been preparing for the trip (what’s on it, you ask? Details coming soon…) BUT my excitement builds with every day that counts down to le 2 septembre (A.K.A. my flight to Marseille)!

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment