Sunday, June 13, 2010

First college course

So, I've gotta pick my first college course (First-Year Seminar Courses [FSEM]) by this Wednesday.
I'm SUPER excited about this because, well, it's my first course in college! But I'm also really nervous: what if I pick a really difficult, or really boring class? What if I register incorrectly? What if the professor sucks?? The kicker is that your professor for your FSEM is also your academic advisor for your whole freshman year, and I want a class with someone who's going to be a really good advisor as well as a good teacher. DU has a wide variety of  to choose from, though, so I'm sure I'll find something.

I've narrowed it down to the following:
"Censorship, Free Speech, and Literature"
"Controversy in American Culture"
"The Fascination of Evil"
"Food, Culture, and Communication"
"Food Fights; Food Solutions"
"From Lyric to Lyrics: Poetry Then and Now"
"The Geography of Food: Eating to Live and Living to Eat"
"Globalized Religion"
"The Human Condition: Study of Emotion through Literature, Visual Art, and Music"
"Human Flourishing: The Art and Science of Happiness"

Discoveries Orientation at DU

"(Inter)National Queer Identities"
"Introduction to Forensic Science and Real Life CSI"
" 'It's Not Drawn on Any Map': Reading and Writing Travel"
"Justice, Morality, and Philosophy Go To The Movies"
"Personal Histories of Photography"
"Politics & Memoir"
"Social Problems in Cinema"
" 'Things That Go Bump In the Night': The Supernatural and the Popular Imagination"
"Utopia, Distopia, and the End of the World"
"Why and How South Africa?"
"You Are What You Eat: A Course in Food Chemistry"
"Youth Cultures: Inequality, Resistance, and Empowerment"

Whew, that's a heck of a starting point!
What do you think will be most interesting?
xxo, S

2 comments:

  1. "Human Flourishing: The Art and Science of Happiness"- this sounds like a great course to start college off with and I bet the person who teaches it is great! Good luck with this! Susan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: i ended up picking " 'Things That Go Bump In the Night': The Supernatural and the Popular Imagination"
    A lot of classes filled up quickly!

    ReplyDelete