Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bond. James Bond.

Short post today -

There are three movie theatres in Aix, Le Cézanne, Renoir, and Le Mazarin. Cézanne shows all the new, mainstream releases; Mazarin has more "artsy" films, and Renoir shows both these types, but all in their original language!

Today, one of my first "days off" in a while (a.k.a. no classes, no internship, no travel), I went to see the new James Bond film Skyfall with a friend. We were both eagerly awaiting the movie and were excited to see it together - especially since it doesn't come out in the U.S. until 9 November!!

Firstly, movie theatres in France are slightly different from in America (surprise). For a regular ticket, it's about €9... but if you are a student it is only €7.90, which is by far the least expensive movie I've gone to see in a long time! So we get our tickets, head inside, and are thinking we'll get some popcorn. Having lived here for almost two months now, I was not naïvely expecting the same kind of concession stands we have in the U.S. So I wasn't surprised when the aroma of nachos, hot dogs, and fake butter didn't ooze out of the lobby; there was no fountain drink machine either (just bottled sodas); and popcorn comes in little, presorted plastic buckets. You can choose either sucre (sweet) or salé (salted). I don't even remember the last time I had popcorn! We got the salty kind - duhhh - and went into the movie theatre.

We sat in the third row from the front, totally prepared to enjoy the film close up.
The movie screen wasn't flashing ads at us ever five seconds; instead, there was a curtain hung in front of the screen that had ads printed on it. About fifteen minutes before the movie started, the curtain pulled aside, and the previews began (just like in America).


While I enjoyed Skyfall as a film, my friend and I both agreed that it wasn't strikingly Bond enough for us. She also mentioned that the French subtitles below distracted her, but that wasn't as much an issue for me as the fact that there was no villainous plot! Ok, I'm going to let you all go see the movie for yourself and decide what you think, but I'm telling you: the villain was not devious enough for me (sorry, Javier Bardem... but you were definitely creepy! I will give you that! Loved the creepiness!).

Also, if you haven't heard it yet, Adele sings the song for this film, and I really like it, so here it is in case you want to hear it too (read: here it is therefore you ought to listen to it).


Off to Praha tomorrow - see you on Friday, Aix!
xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment