Monday, October 1, 2012

In sickness and in health

The French are known for taking their santé, or health, very seriously. From food to medical, the government plays a role in ensuring that this important part of French society remains pure and respected. Things like GMOs and high fructose corn syrup are illegal; healthcare is famously subsidized; and pharmacies have doctors aplenty for consultation.

So it should come as no surprise that the French treat health problems differently here. Two examples for you guys:
1) My mère d'accueil (host mom) told me that I should be wary of drinking more than two liters of water per day as it could be a sign that I have a thyroid problem. Um, what?! Back at home, we're always bombarded with information about how drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is key to healthy body weights and skin. Not in France. (BTW I don't think I'm actually drinking more than two liters of water, but she scared me and I really might cut down!)

2) Two separate professors today suggested that I see un medcin (doctor) for my rhume (cold). Maybe it was just their way of pointing out my sneezing fits in class? In the U.S. we would just hit up CVS and independently self-medicate. But here? Nope. You go see a doctor and get fixed!

I came back feeling very under the weather from Barcelona (which is why my profs told me to see a doctor), so I went to a pharmacie today. Prone to sinus infections, I had been suffering from a terrible sinus headache since Saturday morning and I was finally going to get some meds for this thing!
After class, I googled the words for "sinus" and "congestion" (they are the same, in case you were wondering), and then went to the pharmacy where I French-ily pronounced my congestion sinus was in need of some pills, please.
The lady at the counter asked if I also had a stuffy nose (nez bouché) with my rhume et congestion and I told her oui. She promptly grabbed two boxes from the wall of unrecognizable medicine behind her, claiming that these were exactly what I needed. In no position to argue, I gratefully said c'est parfait, merci! and also asked for some poudre ou tablets de vitamin C (for my immune system) and she found those for me too.
These pharmacy people are fantastic!

After grabbing some OJ (more vitamin C!) at Monoprix, I came home and set up my "sick station," which normally would also include tissues if I were at home or at DU but this shall do.

shaker village postcard in the back :)

I took one of each pill before dinner and basically downed an entire liter of orange juice in one sitting. Writing this later in the evening, I feel so much better already! It's amazing! My headache was gone before I even had dinner, and my nose is really clearing up - I haven't sniffled anymore!

The "sinus" pills are really cool. They seem to be some sort of all-natural solution; the phrases Complèxe d'huiles essentielles and Gélules végétales adorn the green, leafy-imaged box. And the pills are gel capsules, like Advil LiquiGels, but you can really see the liquid move around in them! So cool!


 The French make taking medicine very easy. Each pill in my rhume kit is labeled either matin, midi, dîner, or soir. Translation: morning, midday, dinner, evening; or when you are supposed to take each pill. I don't think I'll need it for all the weeks that are indicated, but it will be good to have on hand (and keep track!) if I'm feeling sick again.


Still exhausted from a whirlwind weekend (and a very rainy Saturday that might possibly have brought on this cold), so I'm going to bed now. But the world's best* Barcelona post is in the works and coming your way! Get excited!

xxo, S

*"world's best" cannot be guaranteed, but thecolourscape will make every effort to get pretty darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment