Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The STUDY part of "studying abroad"


I’ve been to France before. A few times. But I’ve never gone to school in France. Alors, you see much more of the culture by engaging this way. This is a list of things I’ve noticed about going to school in France and some specific quirks about Aix.
  1. The copy paper here is noticeably thicker and smoother. From the receipt from my SIM card to each syllabus, the way the papier feels is really different. Like woah. I guess the French have higher paper standards than Americans.
  2. “Syllabus week” doesn’t exist here. You don’t walk in to the first day of class, get your syllabus, and leave. No. The professors here (all of mine are French) use the entire class time as an opportunity to monologue (in French) about the purpose of the class at is applies to the study abroad experience (in France).
  3.  Politics is the national “sport” of France. They warned us about this on the first day, but it’s true – eventually, at some point in your conversations with Frenchies, you end up on politics. And you must have an opinion! (How could you not?)
  4. If politics is the national sport, then smoking is the national pastime. French, and Europeans in general, and well known as heavy smokers to Americans, but it’s so engrained in the culture that you cannot just dismiss it as a dirty habit.
  5. Bottled water may be controversial on some environmentally aware U.S. college campuses, but not in France! Disposable plastic water bottles are found in every bodega and boulangerie (bakery). Makes me wonder why more Frenchies don’t own reusable bottles because you always see them just reusing the disposable ones.
  6.  Just because you are enrolled in many classes does not mean that you will have class all the time. In fact, many people have just one class on some days (like I do on Thursdays and Fridays). Good for spending long afternoons at cafés.
  7. WEAK COFFEE! Still have not gotten to the bottom of this strange phenomène. Maybe I’ll just take my Dad’s advice and drink only espresso. Or move to Italy.
a.k.a. IAU street

I’m taking five classes this semester (weird to say “semester” since DU is on a quarter system). So far I’ve been to four of them; the fifth only meets once a week on Mondays. FRE 301 (just “plain” French class); FRE 411 is my Honors seminar; FRE/FLM 355 is “France as Seen Through Its Movies;” COM/JOU 307 is “Contemporary French Media;” and ART 108 is beginner photography.

My seminar and film professor is the same and she is fantastique! She reminds me a lot of my high school French teacher who I had for four years. They have the same intense, passionate energy to teach and learn from students. I am already excited to take another film class since I loved my last one at DU so much; plus a cool teacher? Even more excited!
The media class is similar to one I took at DU, too, but it’s more comparative. We’ll be looking at the differences between French and American media, as well as the many factors that contribute to why people from different countries think certain ways.
I am also looking forward to the photography class. I’ll be able to take pictures of obscure things and then declare, “Don’t judge me! Je suis une photographeur et je crée l’art!


the streets (and streetlamps) of Aix

Tomorrow, my only class is my seminar. We have to read a chapter in French, the conclusion from a book about Franco-American socio-cultural relations and differences. The author brings up interesting aspects of each culture that I never would have thought would affect relationships between French and American people. Especially good to know all this since I am une américaine en France.

Unfortunately, my studies won’t take me to the Marchutz School of Art, which is out in the country and supposed to be absolutely beautiful. Looks like I’ll just have to venture out there on my own one day!

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment