Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hysteria: looking back on my school years

Everyone considers my hometown to be a very safe place to live. There's a cute little town with cute little houses and a cute little school. Except today, that school had a two hour-long fire drill because there was a gas leak scare.

For two hours, students stood outside the school building, wondering A: what was going on and B: when would we be allowed back inside because C: lunch was in about twenty minutes and we are hungry teenagers!

This isn't the first time we've had such hysteria. In sixth grade, there was a bomb scare because someone found a doodle in the boys' bathroom... from eighteen years ago. In 2007, the entire school flooded after forty eight hours of nonstop rain and the school was closed for two weeks.

"The Flood" of 2007

During those two hours, my friends and I sweated (and tanned) in the hot, cinqo de Mayo sun. We didn't have out lunch money because we had left all of our belongings inside when we left for the "fire drill." In the end, we borrowed some from a mom (that reminds me, I've gotta pay her back!) and grabbed some bagels. It wasn't the worst day to have a two-hour break from school. In fact, the weather was so beautiful, who wouldn't want to be  outside?
It could have been raining, and then we would have been pretty seriously screwed.

So I guess my town isn't perfect. But who's really perfect anyway?

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment