Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Some past & future stuff

One down, two to go.
(Those are AP exams I'm talking about.)

Today was French - and I could not be more glad that it's over! After nearly four hours of painstakingly filling in little bubbles, I could finally breathe a sigh of relief that my seven years' study of the French language might be worth something in the end.
We started the day a few hours before the exam at another student's house with some petit déjeuner - um, breakfast - which was actually quite a delicious way to start an otherwise drab day. Not only did I have to sit through an exhausting exam, but torrential rain was blowing around all day.
Yuck.

But that's all over now! And all I've left is English literature this Thursday and environmental science next Tuesday. The best part about AP exams is that, at my school at least, once you've taken the exam for your AP class, you don't have to go to that class for the rest of the AP exam period (May 3-14 this year). Those are some excellently placed bonus frees I'm getting :)

So I used this afternoon to relax, like I haven't been able to do in about a week. I plopped down on my bed with a lime popsicle and let my fan attempt to cool me in 85 degrees (plus humidity!). By dinnertime, the sky had cleared up and it was sunny again. When I went outside, it smelled like the middle of summer.

For some reason, that smell reminded me of a time when I wondered if everyone - all grown-ups, all settled-down-people, all suburban adults - once had a wild youth in which they traveled around, having the adventure of their life. A time when they went to Thailand just for fun, or Germany to see what it's like. When they rode camels and elephants because they could. Does everyone have a past like that?
And do they all come to rest in a dull bubble town?

xxo, S

No comments:

Post a Comment