Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer books 2011

Last night I finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's a wonderful story that centers around the prejudice that was very much prevalent in 1960s Mississippi. Told from the point of view of three different women, it is fast paced, touching, and innovative. Not many people wrote about such controversy back then, not many people write about it now. I remember learning in high school that the U.S. has an unusually long legacy of slavery and race issues which has had an effect on our country even through today.

A lot of critics have compared The Help to Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, which is an old favourite of mine. I think that is a fair comparison because it tackles race issues from a somewhat naive perspective. But I think that the messages in each book are a little different, which is good because you wouldn't want to read the same book ;) I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE!


Also this summer, I've read:
One Day, David Nicholls

Tinkers, Paul Harding
Away, Amy Bloom


and I'm working on:
The Nanny Diaries, McLaughlin & Kraus
xxo, S

1 comment: